Thursday, February 4, 2010

Cayden turned 7

On January 30th Cayden turned 7. It made me feel many things included proud and sad (he told me I couldn't kiss him in public anymore). Cayden is my easygoing, laid back, sensitive (really sensitive), academic, and loving child. It is hard to believe he is 7. I remember the day he was born and when I look at him I still can't believe at one time that someone said he would be an "average" baby. They were referring to size but there is no way this kid has ever been "average". For one, he weighed 9 lbs 4 oz and that is not average in any book. For two, he is one of a kind. This year for his birthday he asked if he could collect money to send to Haiti. He was truly moved by the stories of suffering that I told him (edited for a 7 year old). He liked getting presents too :)

Sometimes I can't help but think of some of my favorite memories of Cayden:
1. Watching Charlotte's Web and sobbing when Charlotte died. Real sobs and real tears!
2. Listening to him count to 5 for the first time at a restaurant when he was 1 1/2
3. Drawing a beer bottle "cap" at Christian School Kindergarten when all the picture called for was a "cap"
4. Swimming lessons where he wouldn't get in the water.
5. Leaving the movie "Happy Feet" because it was too sad.
6. Dunking cookies in milk for the first time.
7. Watching him boogie board in Hawaii this last summer (I think it still panics me to think about it).
8. Every night for about a year at bedtime Cayden would say, "Mom, tell dad to check on me and don't forget to check on me before you go to bed" Never failed...
And, many, many more...

Happy Birthday Lovey Dovey (even though I don't get to call him that anymore).

As we begin this year with him I am sure he will continue to be way beyond average.

No comments: