Thursday, May 20, 2010

I know, I know

Sweet Dreams
Confession time (and I am embarrassed): Bryce sleeps in our bed almost EVERY night. And, if I'm really being honest - EVERY Night for the past two weeks at least. Now, he doesn't start out in my bed but I'm beginning to wonder why I play the "you will sleep in your own bed" game every night. Dutifully about 8pm every evening Jeff or I will take Bryce back to his own room and read him a couple of stories while sitting in his chair. Then, we will get up to leave the room and lo and behold within 5 minutes he is out in the living room dragging his blanket and looking sheepish and cute. Jeff or I will walk him back to his room and the whole time he is saying, "hold you momma" or "read stories daddy" or "sing you momma" and we quietly and calmly put him back in bed (or in his chair) and walk out of the room again. He is given one more opportunity to stay in his room before we do the dreaded dun, dun, dun..... hold the door shut. He has come to anticipate this and will try the door once, cry, and lay down in front of his door and fall asleep. I do have to say that babysitting the door has given me some quality reading time because really what else are you going to do while sitting in the hallway waiting for your two year old to assert his rights to peacably assemble (with you in the living room and the tv).

Back at the ranch....

So, Bryce is asleep behind his door and for some reason before I go to bed at night I think to myself, "he will be much more comfortable in his bed" so I slowly open the door so as to avoid giving him a concussion and I pick up his limp body (which has reached 40 lbs by the way) and put him back in bed. However, sometime between 2:30 4:30 Bryce toddles into our room and wiggles around and falls asleep. I used to walk him back to his room in a daze. But, now, I am too tired and too lazy. But, at some point I know that I will have to start making him go back to his room. Just three more weeks until summer and then I will do it. I think. Maybe.

Tonight I will start by leaving him behind his door. He obviously is not so attached to his bed that he likes to fall asleep in there and doesn't like it so much to stay in there. Maybe he really likes the floor?

1 comment:

Angela said...

I LOVE reading your blog! I know we are miles apart, but it makes me feel "connected" to all of you (and always makes me laugh out loud)! My brother would start out in his bed, but then in the morning we would find him somewhere else. (in a chair in the living room, by the back door, etc.) "This too, shall pass." At least, I don't think he's still doing that at 29 years old. Maybe I should ask his wife?