Sunday, May 9, 2010

My children are not the same...

I have heard many people say that they have children that are like night and day - opposite in every way. I never really believed people when they would start the talk - "we raised them the same way with the same rules and the same..... same.... same". And I would think "uh huh". Well, strike down my condescending attitudes because I am now the one spouting everywhere I go, "we are the same people with the same rules in the same household and I cannot explain why I have two different (and, I mean REALLY different) children. I love them both but it is like living with with someone with a multiple personality disorder. Here are just a few notable examples:

Cayden loves any and all kinds of fruit (especially berries). Bryce on the other hand will eat fruits only if they come out of a can and bananas. His dislike of berries even goes so far as picking them out of yogurt. I guess it works out that Cayden doesn't have to share his favorite things.

Cayden began sleeping through the night at 8 weeks and rarely does he wake up. When we moved him to a toddler bed he would stay in there until he asked to get out. He is still a phenomenal sleeper. Bryce, on the other hand, still wakes up most nights. I will open my eyes and he will be standing right next to my bed. He obviously sees well in the dark.

Bryce loves, loves, loves (did I mention he loves) to be outside. It was the way he would calm down as a baby and even now he cries if he has to come inside. Cayden enjoys the outdoors as well but is just as happy indoors.

Speaking of being in the house Cayden has an addiction to the tv that, to be honest, has made life a bit easier at some points but for the most part we monitor closely. And Bryce could care less about the tv. When we have cartoons on he will say "I no like that show" and every channel you put it on has the same response until he will go and turn the tv off.

Cayden could play with one toy for a significant amount of time while Bryce moves from activity to activity very quickly. It can be exhausting.

Cayden would, and still does, stay out of trouble. He hates to disappoint anyone and he loves to excel at his school and activities. Bryce's middle name is trouble so far and the rest is to be determined.

We love them both equally and marvel at their unique personalities. I believe that I was given two different children so that I can become a "well rounded mother". I need to spend more time fostering their differences instead of wishing for them to be more alike just because it would be easier.

No comments: