Sunday, January 2, 2011

Basketball

Jeff coaches basketball. We all know this. And, to be honest, it is sometimes difficult. Okay, I will be really honest and say that sometimes I really hate it. I resent the hours away from home from November to March (and all the other months). I resent the time rehashing the games and I resent the hours spent providing support to others. But, sometimes, I am supportive and proud and enjoy his dedication. I go to games and I keep dinner out for him and I try to make his schedule a bit easier during season. However, I am afraid that I spend more time being bitter and unsupportive and that makes me ashamed. Sometimes I wish he didn't coach but then I think about being responsible for taking away something that he truly LOVES and is passionate about. I know he would quit if I asked him to but when I search deep in my heart I know that is not the right answer. When it comes down to it I miss my husband. However, I know that he is doing more than coaching basketball - he is mentoring young men in the lessons of the game and in life. He is paying it forward because he had amazing mentors in his life who coached him in basketball (and in life). I am proud of that and hope that he gets the opportunity to play that role for his own kids and I hope that the countless kids who have played for him realize what a sacrifice he has made to be good for them. Good luck this year honey!

For those of you interested in following the team there is a facebook page for Crook County Boys Basketball. And, here is a link for his recent tournaments wins:

No comments: