Saturday, March 9, 2013

 
These are my roots.  These are my branches.
As most of you know growing up I spent the majority of my time with my mom and sister.  They co-raised me through the whiny stage, through orthodontist appts, through homework battles and parent teacher conferences, through first loves and first heartaches.  Thinking about it more my whiny "sate" may have lasted many, many, many years.  My sister and I are six years apart and when we were younger that didn't always lead to cooperation and enjoyment of the same types of activities.  However, she has always been someone that I have looked up to and someone that I have admired.  She has a heart of gold and patience that just won't quit.  She has three beautiful daughters who are well on the way to making this world a better place thanks to her.  After Christmas the boys and I spent a week in Colorado and were lucky to spend some time with my mom, sister and her girls.  I feel most "at home" in Colorado when I am surrounded by these women.  When I found out (both times) that I was having boys part of me was a little panicked.  I knew girls.  I spent my childhood in a house filled with women. My sister had three girls.  I often figured my fate would be to have girls.  Now that I have boys I know they were my destiny but I couldn't help but wonder if my boys would have the same bond my sister and I do and that I see in her three girls.  Would my boys connect with me in the same way we were connected to my mom?  As it turns out it is different but still amazing to be surrounded by boys :)  I do love it when I'm in Colorado and find the girls outnumbering the boys.  I'm extremely happy to have boys (and not just because of the lack of a toilet paper budget or hair products at my house) but I'm also happy to have these ladies in my life.

No comments: